Brumal, the oldest district of Santa Barbara, located on the Caraça Road, was founded in 1704 by the pioneer Antônio Bueno.
The village was formed by pioneers in the valley where is now the historic center of the district and it received from its founders the name of Brumado due to the large mist, common in the region during the winter, once it gets to the foothills of the Sierra Caraça and near the river of the same name.
"Although the founders, in principle, have found insufficient the production from local mines, mining activity was significantly responsible for the growth of the town. A large number of people has settled here in search of productive gold mines."
"The town grew so much that, around 1730, the church of St. Amaro was already being built with all the pomp. The license for the construction was requested in 1727 by Amaro da Silveira Borges, a resident of the camp."
According to the records, in 1837, the village had 1073 inhabitants and 173 houses. Today, the district has more than two thousand inhabitants and its historical center preserves several monuments, among them: the Church, the Square with the Fountain in the middle, the Registry House and the old school building, now the Community Center José Januário Câmara.
The name Brumal became official in 1943, but the site has also been named: Brumado do Mato Dentro, Santana do Brumado and Barra Feliz.
St. Amaro Church:
St. Amaro Church was built between 1728 and 1739, and it is one of the most beautiful Baroque monuments of this phase. In its simple rectangular structure with two towers and triangled pediment, keeps in its interior two altarpieces and the main altar of richly crafted wood with columns decorated with cherubs, flowers and birds and marbled ornaments and chinoiserie.
The main altar, where is the image of the patron saint, is done in polychrome wood. The image came from Portugal on a throne inside a richly worked backstage. The sides of the chancel are decorated with various panels telling the life of the patron.
" Also in the main chapel, one can witness beautiful wooden columns carved with motifs of flora and fauna, plus several rocailles and niches where are the pictures of St. John the Evangelist and St. Cajetan. At the culmination of the external dressing room, flanked two large angels with trumpets, which disappeared from their niches."
The two doors, which connect the main chapel to the sacristy, are beautifully finished with influence of Arab architecture.
Details of the magnificent altar
Details of Brumal Square and its Fountain
The Brumal Cavalhada (Horseback Ride)
Every year at the feast of the St. Amaro occurs the Brumal Cavalhada. The Cavalhadas are horseback rides, traditions that came from middle ages and represent the struggle between Moors and Christian to get the Holly Land. There are horsemen's parades, racing and games accompanied by a musical group. They say that Mr. Jorge da Siva Calunga (district resident) made a promise to St.Amaro and if grace would be achieved he would made a horseback ride in Brumal at the feast of Santo Amaro in honor of the saint, in 1937. Since then the Cavalhada became folklore, tradition and part of the city and region.